Chocolate Caramel Corn
This big batch of chocolate caramel corn made with caramel-covered popcorn and peanuts, a drizzle of dark chocolate, and sprinkling of flaky salt is exactly what you need to get your holiday party started!
- 1 cup popcorn kernels , popped (see Notes)
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks, 226 grams)
- 2 ½ cups light or dark brown sugar (533 grams)
- 1 cup light corn syrup (312 grams)
- 14 oz can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped or use chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt , for sprinkling (optional)
Line 2-3 large sheet pans with wax paper or parchment and top with popped popcorn and peanuts.
Combine the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should turn a darker color.
Remove from heat and add the sweetened condensed milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
Pour over the popcorn and peanuts and stir to evenly coat the popcorn. Spread caramel corn into an even layer.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler on the stove or in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Stir until smooth.
To Make Soft Caramel Corn:
To Make Crunchy Caramel Corn:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake caramel corn on sheet pans with parchment (do not use wax paper) for about 30 minutes until caramel is crisp and darker brown, stirring a few times.
Drizzle caramel corn with melted chocolate and sprinkle with flaky salt, if desired. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving, or until chocolate has set.
Store chocolate caramel corn in an airtight container for up to several days.
- You can pop popcorn per your preference. You can use a stove top popper, air popper, microwave popcorn, etc.
- If using microwave popcorn, you'll need 3 regular-size bags, popped. Make sure it is plain or lightly salted.
- Make sure to remove all unpopped kernels from popcorn before combining with caramel.
- You can also use an XL bowl to combine caramel with popcorn and peanuts.
- Nutrition information is an estimate.
Calories: 366kcal, Carbohydrates: 63g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 180mg, Potassium: 150mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 56g, Vitamin A: 374IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 93mg, Iron: 1mg