Chocolate Covered Caramels
These homemade chewy caramels covered in chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt are a luxurious treat that are surprisingly easy to make!
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar (105 grams)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream (325 ml)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick, 113 grams)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped or use chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon flaky or coarse sea salt
Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set next to stove.
In a medium heavy bottom saucepan, add granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, heavy cream and butter. Measure vanilla and set next to stove.
Set pan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.
Insert a candy thermometer and continue to cook mixture, stirring often, on medium heat to 240-250°F (see Notes), approximately 35 minutes.
As soon as caramel reaches temperature remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Working quickly, pour caramel into the prepared pan.
Let caramel cool completely, about 1 hour at room temperature.
Use parchment paper to lift caramel out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Slice into 1 inch pieces (or as desired) with a sharp knife.
Melt chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a bowl of simmering water, or in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Stir until smooth.
Drop caramels into melted chocolate and use a fork to remove it from the bowl of chocolate, letting excess chocolate drop back into the pan.
Place covered caramels on a pan lined with parchment paper or wax paper and sprinkle with some of the salt.
Let cool for 20 minutes until chocolate is set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a few weeks.
- I highly suggest reading through the post above for tips and helpful info for these caramels.
- Make the following adjustments if cooking above sea level: 2,000 feet— 238-244°F, 5,000 feet— 232-238°F, 7,500 feet— 227-233°F
Calories: 71kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 12mg, Sodium: 125mg, Potassium: 27mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 128IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 8mg, Iron: 1mg