Easiest Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
This 15-minute, one-pan macaroni and cheese is just as easy as from the box but so much better!
- 1 lb macaroni or other short pasta (455 grams)
- 12-oz can evaporated milk (360 ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese , shredded (see Notes) (455 grams)
- 8 ounces American cheese , cubed (see Notes) (225 grams)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup butter , cubed (113 grams)
- Salt , to taste
Cook macaroni or pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente (look for time recommendations on box). Drain.
While macaroni is cooking whisk together evaporated milk and eggs. In a separate bowl , toss together the shredded cheddar, cubed American, and cornstarch.
Return drained pasta to pot and set over medium low heat. Add butter and stir until melted.
Add evaporated milk mixture and cheese mixture and stir until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
Taste and add salt as needed.
Recipe from The Food Lab via Serious Eats.
- You can use any good melting cheese, such as American, cheddar, Jack, Fontina, Swiss, Gruyere, Muenster, provolone, or young Gouda, or a combination of multiple cheeses. Stay away from aged cheeses as they have low moisture and won't melt as well.
- I couldn't find any block American cheese. Instead I used pre-sliced (but not individually wrapped) and gave it a rough chop.
- To reheat, combine in a pot with a few tablespoons of milk over medium low heat and cook, stirring gently, until smooth. To reheat in the microwave, add a few tablespoons of milk and warm in 30 second intervals, gently stirring after each.
Sodium: 793mg, Calcium: 670mg, Vitamin C: 1mg, Vitamin A: 1081IU, Sugar: 5g, Fiber: 1g, Potassium: 291mg, Cholesterol: 137mg, Calories: 578kcal, Saturated Fat: 21g, Fat: 36g, Protein: 25g, Carbohydrates: 40g, Iron: 1mg