Soft and Gooey Caramel Popcorn
The best soft and gooey caramel popcorn. This recipe makes a super big batch, perfect for a crowd! If desired, feel free cut this recipe in half.
- 1 cup popcorn kernels , popped (see Notes)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks, 226 grams)
- 2 ½ cups light or dark brown sugar (533 grams)
- 1 cup light corn syrup (312 grams)
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Line 2-3 large sheet pans with wax paper and top with popped popcorn.
Combine, the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should turn a darker color.
Remove from heat and add the sweetened condensed milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. Pour over the popcorn and stir to evenly coat the popcorn.
The caramel popcorn is best served immediately, but you can also store it in an airtight container for up to several days.
- You can pop popcorn per your preference (see post above for suggestions). You'll need 8 quarts of popped popcorn (32 cups). If using microwave popcorn, you'll need 3 regular-size popped bags.
- If using microwave popcorn, make sure it is plain or lightly salted.
- Make sure to remove all unpopped kernels from popcorn before combining with caramel.
- You can also use an XL bowl to combine caramel popcorn.
Calories: 366kcal, Carbohydrates: 63g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 180mg, Potassium: 150mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 56g, Vitamin A: 374IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 93mg, Iron: 1mg