Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Buttercream
A moist dark chocolate cake made with sweet red wine, frosted with raspberry buttercream.
Red wine chocolate cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (65 grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet red wine , I used a ruby port (250 ml)
- 3/4 cup whole milk (180 ml)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (180 ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries , fresh or frozen (120 grams)
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (226 grams)
- 4 cups powdered sugar , sifted (450 grams)
- Pinch of salt
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper (see my tips for how to prep cake pans
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl whisk together the red wine, milk oil, eggs and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined and there are minimal lumps. Do not overmix.
Divide cake batter between prepared pans and bake until the cakes pull away from the side of the pans and the tops spring back when gently pressed, 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
Puree the raspberries in a food processor (or mash by hand with a fork) and pass through a mesh strainer to remove seeds. You should have about 1/4 cup puree.
With an electric mixer beat the butter, powdered sugar, salt, and raspberry puree on low speed until combined. Increase speed and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy, scraping the bowl down as needed.
Recipe adapted from Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes.
- If using frozen raspberries, before using, draining an liquid away.
- This cake can also be baked in a 9x13-inch pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- I used a closed star tip (Ateco #844) to create the roses on top of this cake.
- If you'd like to cover the cake completely with frosting, you may want to double the buttercream recipe.
Calories: 674kcal, Carbohydrates: 95g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 22g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 495mg, Potassium: 185mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 74g, Vitamin A: 557IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 42mg, Iron: 2mg