Asparagus, Pancetta and Puff Pastry Bundles
Bundles of asparagus, pancetta, parmesan cheese baking in puff pastry. Use frozen puff pastry to make this a super simple appetizer.
- 1 small bunch asparagus , woody ends removed (about 1/2 lb, 225 grams)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese , grated (30 grams)
- 8 slices pancetta , see Note (2 oz, 56 grams)
- 1 sheet puff pastry , thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon water , for egg wash
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Out a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry out to a large rectangle about about twice its size. Square off edges and cut into 8 squares or rectangles.
Toss asparagus in olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
To make the bundles, take a square of puff pastry and brush with egg wash. Place slice of pancetta on top, followed by 3-4 stalks of asparagus (depending on size) and parmesan cheese. Wrap pancetta around asparagus, then wrap with the puff pastry. Make sure the puff pastry overlaps some and press to seal. Brush puff pastry with more egg wash.
Bake until puff pastry is golden and puffed, about 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Use can substitute prosciutto, bacon or deli ham for the pancetta, if desired.
Calories: 264kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 32mg, Sodium: 225mg, Potassium: 54mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 72IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 41mg, Iron: 1mg