Easy Dutch Oven Cobbler
The easiest summer fruit cobbler baked in a traditional camp dutch oven over coals. A perfect dessert to enjoy while camping!
- 4 cups fruit such as berries , peaches, apples, etc.
- 1/2 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup lemon lime soda , such as Sprite or 7up
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cold and cut into bits
- 2 tablespoons granulated or coarse sugar , optional
- Whipped cream , for serving
Preheat 45 charcoal briquettes until white and glowing. Lightly grease the bottom of a cast iron camp dutch oven with cooking spray (see Notes).
In a medium bowl combine the cake mix and lemon lime soda. You want a batter that is thick, but moist (it does not have to be precise, I've had varying consistencies from stiffer batters to thinner cake-like batters).
Place fruit in the cast iron dutch oven and spoon batter over top. Top with bits of butter. Sprinkle with the sugar, if using. Cover the dutch oven with its lid.
Place 15 hot charcoal briquettes together and set dutch oven over them. Using tongs, place the remaining 30 briquettes on the dutch oven lid. (This exact number and placement is required to achieve 350 degrees inside the dutch oven.) After about 10 minutes, rotate the dutch oven over the coals clockwise and the lid over the dutch oven counter clockwise to promote even cooking. Check after 20 minutes, cobbler is done with the topping is golden brown and the fruit juices are bubbling.
Remove dutch oven from coals. Serve the cobbler with whipped cream.
- If using strawberries or stone fruit such as peaches, slice into wedges or chunks.
- You can also bake this cobbler in the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a standard baking dish with cooking spray. Bake the cobbler until golden brown and the fruit is bubbly around the edges, 20-25 minutes.
- New to dutch oven cooking? It's easy to find a lot of info about it online, this website is particularly friendly and helpful.
Calories: 282kcal, Carbohydrates: 57g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 304mg, Potassium: 103mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 36g, Vitamin A: 170IU, Vitamin C: 10mg, Calcium: 100mg, Iron: 1mg