Classic apple crisp is perfect for fall!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (30 grams)
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats (25 grams)
- ⅓ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (70 grams)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter , cold and cut into cubes
- 6 medium tart apples , peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Whipped cream or ice cream , for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a small casserole dish (2-3 quart).
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir. Add the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.
Add sliced apples into the casserole dish along with the granulated sugar and spread into an even layer.
Sprinkle apple filling with the crisp topping.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Granny Smith, Jonagold, Jonathan, Gala, Honeycrisp and Pink Lady are all great apple varieties for baking.
- To make ahead: This recipe can be frozen before or after baking. Wrap in a double layer of plastic wrap and store in the freezer for a month or more. To bake, follow instructions in recipe, adding at least 5 minutes to baking time. To reheat, cover with foil and warm in a 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes till heated through.
Sodium: 152mg, Calcium: 23mg, Vitamin C: 6mg, Vitamin A: 336IU, Sugar: 36g, Fiber: 4g, Potassium: 189mg, Cholesterol: 23mg, Calories: 292kcal, Saturated Fat: 6g, Fat: 9g, Protein: 2g, Carbohydrates: 53g, Iron: 1mg