Hot Cross Biscuits
These hot cross biscuits are made with spices, orange peel and raisins and are a lot like the traditional buns, but so much easier!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick, 113 grams), cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (75 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk (180 ml)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (113 grams), sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
Add butter and cut into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or knife until butter is the size of small peas. Stir in raisins.
Combine egg and buttermilk and pour over the cut butter mixture. Use a spatula or spoon to combine mixture, then dump out on to a clean surface and use your hands to bring it completely into a ball. It's okay if it's a little craggy.
Roll or pat to about 1 inch thick and cut with a 2 or 3-inch glass or biscuit cutter.
Place on the prepared sheet pan and bake until tops and bottoms are golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool while you make the icing.
Combine powdered sugar and milk or cream to make a thick icing. It should be thick enough to hold it's shape.
Using a spoon or pastry bag fitted with a plain tip, drop icing over the biscuits in the shape of a cross. Let icing set up before serving.
Calories: 395kcal, Carbohydrates: 63g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Sodium: 253mg, Potassium: 314mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 19g, Vitamin A: 421IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 109mg, Iron: 3mg