Sausage Broccoli Potato Soup
This hearty soup is filled with sausage, potatoes and broccoli. It's the perfect cozy soup for a chilly night!
- 1/2 lb ground pork sausage (226 grams)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (1200 ml)
- 1 lb potatoes, diced (450 grams)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt plus more to taste
- About 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 large head of broccoli , chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup milk or cream, or use more broth (250 ml)
In a large pot brown sausage, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Add butter to pot along with the onions. Cook onions until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add flour and stir until onions are coated.
Pour in the broth and add potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add sausage, broccoli and milk/cream/more broth and return to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until potatoes and broccoli are tender.
Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- You can use traditional ("breakfast" or country") ground sausage, sweet Italian sausage, spicy Italian sausage, etc.
- Use any percentage of milk or heavy cream for this soup to make it more or less creamy to your tastes. You can also substitute the milk/cream for more broth to keep the soup lighter.
Calories: 254kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 1487mg, Potassium: 807mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1201IU, Vitamin C: 101mg, Calcium: 126mg, Iron: 4mg