The Best Homemade Caesar Salad
This really is the best homemade Caesar salad! With homemade croutons and a creamy homemade dressing.
- 3 cups torn bread cubes , about half of a small loaf
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heavy pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce , washed and torn or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese , grated, shaved or shredded
Make the croutons:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Drizzle bread cubes with enough olive oil so they are all very lightly coated. Toss and add salt.
Spread out onto a sheet pan and bake until edges turn brown, 7-10 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn, stir and toss them as needed.
Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad. Can be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
Assemble the salad:
In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves (or to your preference). You may not need all of the dressing.
Add half of the croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss again.
Top with remaining croutons and cheese and serve immediately.
Calories: 208kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 9mg, Sodium: 544mg, Potassium: 70mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 450IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 107mg, Iron: 1mg