Hummus with Spiced Beef and Pine Nuts
Creamy hummus topped with spiced ground beef, toasted pine nuts, and fresh herbs is a great appetizer or light meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 96% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups prepared hummus
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- More olive oil , for drizzling
- Pita bread , for serving
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and let heat for 1 minute.
Add ground beef and sprinkle with spices and salt. Cook until browned completely, stirring frequently, about 5-7 minutes.
While beef is cooking, toast the pine nuts in a small skillet set over medium low heat, about 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently and watch carefully to make sure they don't burn. Add to the ground beef.
Spread hummus on a plate or shallow bowl. Top with ground beef and pine nut mixture. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and drizzle a little olive oil over the whole dish. Serve immediately with warmed pita bread.
- This dish can also be made with ground lamb in place of the ground beef.
Calories: 613kcal, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 47g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Sodium: 834mg, Potassium: 637mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 89IU, Calcium: 67mg, Iron: 6mg