Oreo Dirt Layer Cake
Layers of rich chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, crushed oreo cookies and chocolate whipped cream make up this extraordinary dirt cake!
- 1 1/4 cup hot coffee or water (295 ml)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (110 grams)
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (330 grams)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar (400 grams)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups full fat sour cream (282 grams)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (267 ml)
Chocolate pudding filling:
- 3.5 oz package instant chocolate pudding , plus ingredients listed on box
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk (415 ml)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (65 grams)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (20 grams)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (20 grams)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 oz package or similar chocolate sandwich cookies, like Oreos
Chocolate whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup chocolate pudding , from above
To make the cake:
To make the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 2 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans (see Notes) and line bottoms with parchment paper. See my full tutorial on how to prep cake pans.
In a bowl, whisk together the coffee and cocoa powder until no lumps remain. Set aside. In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
In a large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together until smooth and pale yellow in color. Stir in the sour cream, followed by the vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture all at once and stir until combined. Stir in the cocoa mixture and mix until smooth.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For best results, completely chill cake layers before assembly.
To make the pudding:
If using instant pudding, follow instructions on box.
OR if making homemade pudding, in a medium saucepan over medium low heat, combine the milk, sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and sugar, and stir until smooth. Heat mixture until it just begins to steam.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly add the milk mixture to the egg yolks in a small stream while whisking constantly. When fully combined, pour back into the saucepan.
Place over medium heat and cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes, while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
To make chocolate whipped cream:
With an electric mixer, beat whipping cream to stiff peaks.
Fold in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the chocolate pudding, until desired color, flavor, and consistency is reached.
To assemble cake:
Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Cover with approximately 1/2 cup chocolate pudding. Sprinkle with some oreo dirt.
Repeat with remaining layers.
Carefully frost cake with chocolate whipped cream.
Decorate cake tops and sides with remaining oreo dirt, or as desired.
Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Cake can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the fridge.
- I like to use Hershey's instant chocolate pudding.
- Can use Cool Whip in place of whipped cream if desired.
- This cake can be baked in either 8 or 9-inch round pans. 8-inch will be taller, 9-inch will be wider and shorter. You can use 2 or 3 pans, depending on the look you’re going for: double layer (2 pans), triple layer (3 pans), or quadruple layer (2 pans, then slice each layer in half). Baking times will vary slightly. These are the pans I use.
Calories: 458kcal, Carbohydrates: 70g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 87mg, Sodium: 525mg, Potassium: 271mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 42g, Vitamin A: 451IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 84mg, Iron: 4mg