Best Buttermilk Waffles
The best buttermilk waffles, slightly sweet and crispy on the outside but soft and caky on the inside.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (180 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (28 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (295 ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (113 grams), melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Preheat a waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Grease with non-stick spray if necessary. Pour scant 1 cup batter into the hot waffle maker (1/2 cup for smaller waffle irons). Cook until golden brown (this was about 5-6 minutes in my waffle iron.)
Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven in a single-layer.
Calories: 268kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 76mg, Sodium: 199mg, Potassium: 192mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 476IU, Calcium: 100mg, Iron: 1mg