Homemade eggnog is easy to make at home and so much better than store-bought!
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk (1 quart, about 1 liter), divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg , fresh if possible
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt.
In a medium saucepan, warm 2 cups of the milk over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edges, stirring occasionally. Do not bring to a boil.
Add warmed milk to the egg mixture in a small stream while whisking constantly until completely combined.
Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat to 160°F while whisking constantly, about 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and add to a pitcher. Stir in remaining milk, heavy cream, nutmeg and vanilla.
Chill completely before serving.
- For a stronger nutmeg flavor, increase nutmeg to 1 1/2 teaspoons.
- To ensure the mixture is smooth without lumps, pass cooked mixture through a mesh strainer before combining with heavy cream, etc.
- See post above for mix-in suggestions.
Calories: 303kcal, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 176mg, Sodium: 184mg, Potassium: 229mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 25g, Vitamin A: 813IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 176mg, Iron: 1mg