Beef and Veggie Tin Foil Dinners
These tasty beef and veggie tin foil dinners are a complete and hearty meal wrapped up in foil and cooked over a fire, on the grill, or in the oven.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large carrots , sliced
- 1 ear of corn , kernels removed (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 lb potatoes (about 4 medium), chopped in 1 inch pieces
- Handful of green beans , chopped
- 1/2 small onion , chopped
- 1/4 cup salted butter , cubed (can also use 1/4 cup olive oil)
- Approximately 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary thyme or sage , chopped
- Salt and pepper , as needed
Measure 4 sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil to about 18 inches. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer beef and veggies in a mound into the center of each sheet of foil, dividing ingredients evenly between all 4 sheets.
Top with butter or oil and fresh herbs.
Season heavily with salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each packet.
Fold edges of foil over and crimp tightly to seal. If cooking on grill or fire, consider double wrapping to prevent tears in foil.
To cook on fire: Wait till fire has turned to coals and spread logs out to heat is as even as possible. Cook on logs for about 20 minutes, flipping and rotating as needed to promote even cooking, until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft. To cook on grill: Preheat grill to medium heat, about 400° and cook for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft. To cook in oven: Preheat oven to 400°F and cook for 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and veggies are soft.
Carefully open up foil packets as the steam inside is very hot. You can eat straight out of the foil or dump contents onto a plate.
- See post above for suggestions of other flavor and ingredient combinations.
- To make ahead: Store prepared foil dinner in a fridge or cooler for a few days, or store in the freezer for several weeks. Let thaw in the fridge overnight or in a cooler for several hours before cooking. Always make sure prepared foil dinners are kept cold before cooking.
Calories: 493kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 35g, Saturated Fat: 16g, Cholesterol: 111mg, Sodium: 214mg, Potassium: 953mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 5492IU, Vitamin C: 17mg, Calcium: 71mg, Iron: 6mg