Chocolate Sheet Cake
This one-bowl chocolate sheet cake with easy fudge frosting is for all of you chocolate lovers!
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour (330 grams)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (110 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil (265 ml)
- 1 ¼ cup sour cream (282 grams)
- 1 ¼ cup hot coffee (300 ml)
Fudge Buttercream Frosting
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate , chopped (170 grams)
- 4 ½ cup powdered sugar (563 grams)
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature (3 sticks, 340 grams)
- 6 tablespoons whole milk or half and half (90 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To make the chocolate cake
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and grease generously with nonstick baking spray.
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and sugar. Mix until combined.
Add eggs, vegetable oil, and sour cream. Mix on low until combined.
With the mixer running, slowly add coffee. Stop and scrape down bowl once or twice to make sure everything gets incorporated. Mix for a few more moments until batter is smooth, but do not over mix.
Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake until edges of the cake pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with a few crumbs, 35-40 minutes.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you'd like to serve the cake straight from the pan, you can let the cake cool in the pan.
- This cake can also be baked in a 13x18-inch half sheet pan. Reduce baking time to 25-30 minutes.
- To make this a two-layer cake, follow these instructions for how to cut a cake into even layers.
- This frosting recipe makes about 4 cups which is enough to frost both a single or double-layer 9x13-inch cake or a 13x18-inch cake with some left over for decorating. Store any leftover frosting in the fridge for 1 week.
Calories: 388kcal, Carbohydrates: 54g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 58mg, Sodium: 235mg, Potassium: 166mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 39g, Vitamin A: 465IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 38mg, Iron: 2mg