Vanilla Cupcakes with Berry Swirl Frosting
Delicate vanilla cupcakes topped with buttercream frosting swirled with berry preserves are lovely and delicious!
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided (250 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened to room temperature (226 grams)
Berry Swirl Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted (455 grams)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature (226 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup berry preserves such as blueberry, strawberry and/or raspberry
To make the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a regular cupcake pan with paper liners or grease with nonstick baking spray.
In a bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl if mixing with hand-held mixer, add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cubed butter and remaining 1 cup buttermilk.
Beat on low speed until moistened, then increase speed to high and beat until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
Add egg mixture in 2 additions, mixing after each.
Fill cupcake liners no more than 2/3 full. Bake until tops of cupcakes are barely golden and bounce back when gently pressed, 16-18 minutes.
Let cool in pan for a few minutes, than remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl if mixing with hand-held mixer, add powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and cream. Mix on low until moistened, then increase to high and beat until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
Brush sides of a piping bag with berry preserves, making anywhere from 2-4 stripes of preserves.
Carefully add frosting to piping bag.
Pipe swirled frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Cupcakes will keep for a few days at room temperature, but they will hold up better chilled in the fridge.
Serving: 1cupcake, Calories: 350kcal, Carbohydrates: 46g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 82mg, Sodium: 108mg, Potassium: 58mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 36g, Vitamin A: 575IU, Vitamin C: 0.7mg, Calcium: 31mg, Iron: 0.7mg