The Best Strawberry Jam
A few secret ingredients really help to make this easy strawberry jam recipe shine.
- 2 pounds strawberries , hulled and sliced (900 grams)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (60 ml) (see Note)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 2-3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar , to taste
- 1 vanilla bean , split lengthwise or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To make the jam:
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Periodically skim foam off of the top.
After about 45-60 minutes, jam should be thick and drop from a spoon in thick drips. Cook longer if needed.
Remove vanilla bean pod if you added one, and spoon into desired storage container(s).
To process in a home-canner:
If canning, fill sterilized jars leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe the rims of the jars clean and cover with sterilized lids and rings. Process in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Make sure the water covers the jars completely, and that it is boiling for the entire processing time.
Let cool to room temperature before removing rings and storing.
Canned jam will store for up to one year at room temperature.
- If you are planning to process and can this jam, bottled lemon juice is the best option as it has a consistent level of acidity which is needed to preserve the jam. If you are freezing or storing the jam in the refrigerator, you can use freshly squeezed lemon juice if you prefer.
Calories: 312kcal, Carbohydrates: 79g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 3mg, Potassium: 242mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 74g, Vitamin A: 18IU, Vitamin C: 93mg, Calcium: 24mg, Iron: 1mg