Oatmeal Jam Bars
Hearty whole wheat and oatmeal crumb bars filled with jam. A simple dessert or snack!
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (75 grams)
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour (80 grams)
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour (75 grams)
- ⅓ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (70 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 ounces cream cheese , at room temperature (170 grams)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (56 grams)
- ¾ cup seedless jam , such as strawberry (275 grams, about a 10 oz jar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil.
In a large bowl combine the oats, flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Add the oat mixture and mix just until it forms a crumbly dough.
Reserve 1 cup of the dough for the topping and set aside. Press remaining dough into the prepared pan. Bake until set and just appears to turn brown, about 15 minutes.
Combine jam and lemon juice and spread on top of the hot crust. Scatter remaining dough on top of jam. Bake until topping is golden, about 15-20 minutes more. Let cool completely, then slice into bars.
Calories: 174kcal, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 19mg, Sodium: 95mg, Potassium: 71mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 13g, Vitamin A: 231IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 23mg, Iron: 1mg