Cheesy Irish Soda Bread
This Irish soda bread is cheesy, super simple, and full of so much flavor!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (480 grams)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (56 grams), cold and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (113 grams)
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk (375 ml), well-shaken
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and soda.
Use a pastry blender or a fork to blend the butter into the dry ingredients. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
Whisk the buttermilk and egg together and pour it over the flour and butter mixture.
Use a spoon and then your hands to bring the dough together into a ball. Dough should be very shaggy and slightly sticky.
Shape into a ball, flatten slightly with your hands, and score a big "x" on top.
Transfer dough to a cast iron skillet or a sheet pan lined with parchment.
Bake until top is golden brown, 40-45 minutes.
Serve warm with butter. Bread is even better toasted the next day!
- Feel free to use other shred-able cheeses like mozzarella, Swiss, pepper-jack, Parmesan, etc.
Calories: 2971kcal, Carbohydrates: 402g, Protein: 97g, Fat: 105g, Saturated Fat: 62g, Cholesterol: 444mg, Sodium: 4579mg, Potassium: 1192mg, Fiber: 14g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 3382IU, Calcium: 1342mg, Iron: 25mg