Berry Crumb Bars
Raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries sandwiched between buttery crumb layers.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 grams)
- 1 1 /2 cup granulated sugar (300 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks, 226 grams), cubed
- 1 large egg , lightly whisked
- 5 cups combination of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Line with parchment paper if desired.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. With a pastry cutter, cut in the butter and the egg. The dough will be very crumbly. Pat half of the crumb mixture into the prepared dish.
In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Gently fold in the berries and pour evenly over the crust. Take the other half of the crumb mixture and sprinkle on top of the berries.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top has slightly browned.
The crumb bars will keep better in the fridge and are more easily cut when chilled.
- Can use fresh or frozen berries. If using frozen, do not thaw before using and increase cornstarch to 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon.
Calories: 412kcal, Carbohydrates: 64g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Sodium: 58mg, Potassium: 152mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 36g, Vitamin A: 509IU, Vitamin C: 13mg, Calcium: 38mg, Iron: 2mg