Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
Make Thanksgiving a little easier with this herb-roasted turkey breast!
- 6-7 lb bone-in turkey breast
- ¼ cup salted butter , softened to room temperature
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt , divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper , divided
- ¾ cup chicken/turkey broth or water , plus more as needed
Let turkey breast sit out at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before roasting. Pat dry with paper towels as much as possible.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a small bowl, combine the butter, cloves, juice of half the lemon, Dijon mustard, herbs, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.
Use your hands to open up the space between the skin of the turkey and breast. Slide your fingers under the skin and begin moving them back and forth firmly but carefully until the skin is loosened except for where it's attached at the edges.
Take half of the butter mixture in your hands and work it under the loosened skin. Rub remaining butter spread on the outside of the skin. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Cut up remaining lemon half and place in roasting pan. Add chicken/turkey broth or water.
Roast until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast registers 155°F, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Start checking at the 1 hour mark. If skin browns too quickly, cover with foil.
Let turkey breast rest for 20 minutes, then carve and serve.
Adapted from Ina Garten.
- A frozen turkey breast will take about 30 minutes per pound to thaw in cold water, so 3-4 hours. You can also thaw it in the fridge for 2 days.
- You can also roast a half-breast. Cut amounts for butter mixture in half and roast for 45 minutes to an hour.
- If you don't have a roasting pan, place a wire rack on a rimmed half or quarter sheet pan.
Calories: 481kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 68g, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 197mg, Sodium: 1349mg, Potassium: 46mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 226IU, Vitamin C: 10mg, Calcium: 17mg, Iron: 1mg