The Best French Toast
- Butter or oil , for frying
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest (optional)
- 8 thick slices of quality white bread
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries
Warm a large skillet over medium heat and grease with butter and oil.
In a wide shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and orange/lemon zest.
Dip slices of bread into the mixture, letting them soak for a few moments. Lift them out of the mixture, letting the excess drip back into the bowl.
Cook in the hot skillet until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
If desired, keep warm in a 200° oven until ready to serve.
Serve with maple syrup, whipped cream and berries, or as desired.
Calories: 260kcal, Carbohydrates: 34g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 170mg, Sodium: 334mg, Potassium: 199mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 336IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 224mg, Iron: 3mg