My favorite food is cake, and my favorite fruit is definitely the strawberry. Why not combine the two?
I found a recipe for a Southern Style Strawberry Cake through Joy the Baker and new instantly that I had to make it. It was very simple to make thanks its use of a cake mix, but tasting it you’d never know. And the frosting turned out to be the best cream cheese frosting I’d ever made. I loved that the cake was pink, but for me it was a little too pink. Too unnatural. Next time I make it I might try substituting the jello mix for some strawberry flavoring and a little pink food coloring. Another slight change I made was that I added chopped strawberries to the frosting filling in the middle. I found it really helped bring out the flavor of the cake.
Since I had so much leftover I decided to take the rest into work. My coworkers are always asking about school and hinting about bringing in samples so I thought I’d oblige. It didn’t take them long to devour the rest of it, which is a good thing since I’m sure I would have gone home and eaten it all by myself, probably in one sitting.
This is the perfect cake for summer and I encourage everybody to make it. Are you planning a barbecue, having a party, or just want a night in with your favorite chick flick and something sweet? This is the cake for you.
Southern Style Strawberry Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 oz package strawberry jello
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup finely diced strawberries
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, , softened
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Sliced strawberries , for garnish
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- To make the cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add the oil and then add the eggs, mixing after each. Add the water and strawberries and mix until combined.
- Divide the butter amongst the pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, in installments if necessary. Add the salt and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Frost the cake and garnish with the shredded coconut and strawberries.