Yogurt and winter fruit like grapefruit, kiwi and clementines topped with a lid of caramelized sugar makes a bright and delicious start to any day.
While it’s true that summer fruit reigns supreme, winter certainly has a nose in the game.
Clementines, tangerines, tangelos, lemons, meyer lemons, oranges, blood oranges, and grapefruit. Plus plenty of other fruits with winter growing seasons, like kiwi, pineapple and mangoes.
Winter is not just a dead zone to be endured!
I first tried brûléed yogurt a few years ago with this recipe, strawberry-yogurt brûlée, and it blew my mind. So simple— just 4 ingredients— and so delicious! Like crème brûlée for breakfast. Who wouldn’t love that?
I couldn’t wait for strawberry season to roll around and so I decided to give it a try with my favorite winter combo of grapefruit, clementines, and kiwi. Simply fabulous. And so sunny and bright!
This, this right here is how you beat the winter blues.
- 2 cups (455 grams) plain whole-fat yogurt, greek or regular
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup (125 grams) sliced oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, etc.
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
- Combine the yogurt with honey to desired sweetness. Stir in half of the fruit. Spoon mixture into 4 small ramekins and top with remaining fruit.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and caramelize with a kitchen torch. Since yogurt and fruit are quite wet, you may need to do 2-3 layers of sugar and torching to achieve visible caramelization.
- Serve immediately as is or top with granola.
Some of my blogging friends and I are taking on the challenge to eat seasonally. Check out Vintage Mixer’s guide to what’s in season this month and join us, won’t you?
Oatmeal and Citrus Smoothie by Floating Kitchen
Butternut Squash, Carrot and Orange Detox Soup by Vintage Mixer
Winter Minestrone Soup with Pancetta by Flavor the Moments
Broiled Grapefruit by Bless This Mess
Gluten Free Gingersnaps with Lemon Cream Filling by Cafe Johnsonia
Meyer Lemon Tart by Kitchen Confidante
Potato and Leek Soup with Kale by Mountain Mama Cooks
Grapefruit and Avocado Green Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette by Food for My Family
Creamy Mushroom and Leek Chicken Breasts by Foodie Crush
Blood Orange Brûlée Upside Down Cake by Suitcase Foodist
Maple-Cayenne Sausage, Brussels Sprouts and Potato Sheet Dish by Project Domestication
Pink Grapefruit with Brunt Honey Custard by Letty’s Kitchen
Grapefruit Pound Cake with Ginger Marshmallow Icing by Climbing Grier Mountain