Cookies packed with toasted coconut, pecan, and dark chocolate.
Also known as Clean Out the Pantry Cookies, because that’s exactly what I did. My pantry shelf where I keep such things as nuts, chocolate, coconut, dried fruit, sprinkles and the like had gotten to the point that it was completely filled with near empty bags curled up and stacked on top of one another. The time had come to do something about the mess.
How does one accumulate not just one, but three near empty bags of the same kind of chocolate chips? Sometimes I amaze myself, and not always in a good way. Not wanting to be wasteful, I decided the best thing to do in a situation like this is to make cookies. Well really, making cookies is almost the best thing to do in any situation, so I figured I couldn’t lose.
I took my current favorite chocolate chip cookie and tweaked it a bit to add some of the things in my pantry that I wanted to use up. Namely, shredded coconut, pecans, and bittersweet chocolate chips. Sounds like a delicious combination, right?
It really was. This is kind of like a grown up chocolate chip cookie. A little less sweet, and with the subtle flavors of toasted coconut and nutty pecans.
While I loved this combination, I realize that you may have something different in your pantry. If that’s the case, feel free to create your own cookie. Go ahead and clean out those half-empty bags of chocolate chips, nuts, and whatever else you keep in your pantry, and make yourself some cookies.
Toasted Coconut, Pecan, and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread the coconut on an ungreased sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast one to two minutes at a time, stirring to promote even toasting, until golden in color. Keep your eyes on the coconut, it can burn quickly. Remove from oven.
- Line another sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Add the shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans.
- Spoon by tablespoons onto the prepared sheet pan. Bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.