This chocolate sauce flavored with sweet wine is a wonderful topping for ice cream, cake, and fresh fruit!
Zabaglione (Zah-by-oh-nay) is an Italian dessert, though it is also known in French as Sabayon. It’s a light custard made from whipping together egg yolks, a little sugar, and wine over heat. It’s simple, but amazing. Add some chocolate and it’s irresistible.
And I do mean completely irresistible.
Let me warn you right now. You’re going to stick your finger in and sample it once, then again, and again, and again. Then you will have to fight the urge to stick your face directly into the bowl. That’s where the strawberries come in. Double dipping is definitely allowed.
Any other berry would be equally sublime. Serve zabaglione hot or cold. Pour it over ice cream. Fold in some whipped cream and use it to fill cakes. Or simply enjoy it alone with a bowl and spoon. You can’t go wrong.
If, say, you were planning a romantic evening, this is the dessert I would have you share with your special someone. It just screams to be enjoyed with champagne, candlelight, and Barry White.
- 3 ounces (about 1/2 cup) semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sweet wine, such as Marsala
- pinch of salt
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small heat proof bowl. Heat the whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Pour over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth, microwaving for 10 second intervals if needed to melt any remaining lumps.
- Fill a saucepan with one inch of water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. In a large heat proof bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, wine, and salt. Whisk together and immediately place the pot of simmering water. Continue to whisk constantly for several minutes until the mixture is light and foamy and hot to the touch.
- Fold in the chocolate gradually and stir until smooth and fully combined. Serve warm or chill for several hours and serve cold.