You are just four ingredients away from enjoying this super simple, very chocolaty dessert.
These parfaits happened almost completely by accident.
I was attempting a reinvented mousse recipe I found in a magazine but it just wasn’t working out. Maybe it wasn’t a solid recipe, or maybe I just wasn’t on top of my game that day, I don’t know. But after giving up I was left with a melted bowl of beautiful, very expensive chocolate and I was not going to just dump it down the drain. And eating it by the spoonful didn’t seem like the wisest idea either.
One look at the Oreos sitting on my counter thanks to a pregnancy craving, and a whole new recipe was born.
And it turned out so much better than the fancy mousse recipe. First of all it is easy. Just four ingredients— Oreos, milk, semi-sweet chocolate and heavy cream. Layers of crushed up Oreos in between layers of wannabe (but still amazing) chocolate mousse makes for a nice contrast of cookie crunch and silky smooth filling no one can resist.
baking tip:3 ways to make cookie crumbs
- Place whole cookies in a food processor and pulse until cookies are reduced to crumbs.
- Place whole cookies in a zip top plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Place whole cookies in a large bowl or zip top plastic bag and crush with the bottom of a heavy glass or jar.
Chocolate Oreo Parfaits
- Approximately 20 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 4 ounces (113 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) heavy cream
- With a food processor or in a large zip-topped bag with a rolling pin, crush the chocolate sandwich cookies to crumbs.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl. Heat the milk until steaming and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. If chunks of chocolate remain, heat in the microwave at 50% power in 1 minute intervals until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the heavy cream to soft peaks. Reserve approximately 3/4-1 cup for topping. Gently fold the chocolate into the remaining heavy cream in two additions, just until no streaks of chocolate remain.
- Layer the Oreo crumbs and chocolate into 2-4 large glasses (depending on glass size) and top with whipped cream. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.