Light and airy meringue cookies with dark chocolate chunks.
These chewy chocolate meringues are truly a delight. They’re a delight to make, coming together quickly with just 4 ingredients. And they’re a delight to eat, with a soft chewy center surrounded by a crisp exterior, and a nice chocolate flavor.
They’re also a delight for the waste line. Meringues are wonderful that way, a naturally fat-free treat. The chopped chocolate does prevent this variation from being completely fat-free, but you should still be able to enjoy a few without any guilt.
And a treat without guilt? Now that’s right up my alley.
I constantly have a tupperware in the fridge filled with egg whites. As soon as I think up ways to use them, the tupperware gets filled up again thanks to things like ice cream and lemon curd. Meringues are a perfect and simple solution.
These days I don’t have much time to fuss with a recipe before I have to stop and put my feet up (I could really do without pregnancy induced water retention. Hello, cankles!), so this dessert is perfect for me. You’ve likely got a lot going on in your life too—who doesn’t?— so I know you’ll love it too.
The recipe makes more than enough to share, so plan ahead. Indulging in too many at once can result in a tummy ache, trust me on that one.
Chewy Chocolate Meringues
- 1 cup (225 grams) egg whites, from about 7 eggs
- 2 cups (500 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces (113 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the egg whites and sugar. Set over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Whisk frequently until sugar is dissolved. I tested with my fingers to make sure all sugar granules were dissolved.
- Return the bowl to the stand mixer and beat on high speed with the whisk attachment until meringue is stiff and glossy, about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa powder over the meringue, add the chopped chocolate, and gently fold together with a spatula until incorporated.
- Scoop out onto the prepared sheet pans in rounded tablespoons, about 2 inches apart. Baking 2 sheet pans at a time, bake for 8 minutes then rotate pans and bake for an additional 8 minutes, until meringues are puffed and cracked. Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.