Buttery biscuits with parmesan cheese, green scallions, and freshly ground black pepper.
Blogging has enriched my life in so many ways, but probably the most rewarding is the friendships that have resulted because of it. Through blogging and social media I’ve made friends with other bloggers from all over and while some remain only online friends at this point, but others have become friends in real life. One such friend is Kelley of Mountain Mama Cooks. She’s from Park City, Utah and we’ve gotten to know each other through local food blogger gatherings.
We got together over the weekend to cook and bake, to talk blogging and food photography, and of course, to eat some great food. What was on the menu? Rich soup and cheesy biscuits, perfect for a chilly winter afternoon.
I was in charge of the biscuits, Kelley took care of the soup. After settling on something savory I decided to adapt my easy buttermilk biscuit recipe with some tasty additions of cheese, scallions and black pepper. They turned out fantastic, full of so much flavor, and paired wonderfully with the soup Kelley made of roasted butternut squash, herbs, and brown butter.
I do so much baking alone in my kitchen, it was fun to have company for a change. And besides, you can’t beat baking in a kitchen with a view like this. Be sure to check out Kelley’s recipe for Butternut Squash Soup with Brown Butter, Sage and Nutmeg Creme Fraiche, it’s a real winner. Pair it with these super easy savory biscuits and you’ve got yourself a perfect combination for a wintry day.
Cheese Biscuits with Scallions and Black Pepper
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup (6 fluid ounces) buttermilk, cold
- 1 cup (85 grams) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) scallions, thinly chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Add the cubed butter and use a fork or pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until butter is the size of small peas. Add the Parmesan cheese, scallions and buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon until mixture begins to come together, then use your hands to work the dough into a ball. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a round about 1/2 inch thick. Use a 2 1/2-3 inch round cutter to cut dough out into rounds. Place on the prepared sheet pan. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The biscuits are best the day they are made, but you can store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Have you tried this recipe?