Not your average rice krispie treats, these are made with nutty brown butter and filled with salted caramel.
Today I am celebrating!
I’ve been down with a nasty head cold all week and after 4 miserable days I’m finally feeling like myself.
Because I’ve been under the weather I’m celebrating with something quick and easy, but no less irresistible— rice krispie treats to the rescue! As much as I love fancy and festive cakes, you can’t beat the pure simplicity and joy of rice krispie treats. They are unparalleled, and hardly make an appearance in my house because I eat them all in one sitting.
But this special trifecta of occasions was worthy of the extra caloric intake.
I can’t believe I’ve been blogging for 6 years. I’ve learned a lot, made so many wonderful friends and accumulated so many, many recipes. But most importantly, I’ve had a lot of fun! And I’m still having fun, so I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.
I hope you’ve had fun reading along and following my baking adventures, because I don’t want you going anywhere either. I kind of like you.
Thank you, dear readers, for helping to make the last 6 years so special.
baking tip:How to make caramel
Caramel seems tricky, I know, but it is actually quite simple. And even though recipes may vary on exact amounts, they all follow this structure:
1. Cook the sugar (with or without water – this recipe uses it), without stirring, until it becomes a dark amber color.
2. Off heat, add heavy cream in small amounts while whisking constantly. Caramel will bubble violently.
3. Once all of the cream has been added, return to low heat and stir constantly until any lumps have been melted and mixture is smooth.
4. Whisk in vanilla, salt, and/or liquor if desired.
For more caramel-making tips and step-by-step photos, see my full caramel tutorial.
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
For the salted caramel:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the treats:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 cups (10 ounces) marshmallows
- 8 cup (10 ounces) crispy rice cereal
- Salted caramel
- Coarse salt or fleur de sel, for sprinkling
To make the caramel:
- Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir until mixture is moistened and is the consistency of sand. Stop stirring and let the sugar dissolve and cook until deep amber in color. Periodically swirl the pan the ensure the mixture is caramelizing evenly.
- Remove from heat and add the heavy cream very gradually while whisking constantly. Caramel will bubble violently at first. When all incorporated, return to low heat and stir until all clumps are melted and mixture is smooth. remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
To make the treats:
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In a large heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until butter is brown and fragrant. Add the marshmallow and stir until melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in all but a few tablespoons of the caramel. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir until combined.
- Press mixture into the prepared baking pan. Drizzle with the remaining caramel and sprinkle with coarse salt. Let firm up at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving for easy slicing. Alternately, you can let the treats firm up in the fridge for 10 minutes.